1. “SOMETIMES I REREAD my favorite books from back to front. I start with the last chapter and read backward until I get to the beginning. When you read this way, characters go from hope to despair, from self-knowledge to doubt. In love stories, couples start out as lovers and end as strangers. Coming-of-age books become stories of losing your way. Your favorite characters come back to life.”
2. “Aloha- Hello and good bye. ” this was a genius chapter tittle.
3. “once lived a girl in a bubble
who i suspected was nothing but trouble
still i gave her my heart
but she blew it apart
and left me with nothing but rubble”
This was Olly’s terrible attempt to write Madeline a poem, it was a Limerick but she preferred Haiku’s. I just loved this poem!
4. “How is it possible to have an emotion and its opposite at the same time? I’m struggling in a black ocean, a life jacket across my chest, an anchor on my leg.”
Need I ruin this perfect excerpt with my opinion? No I won’t!
5.” My heart is too bruised and I want to keep the pain as a reminder. I don’t want sunlight on it. I don’t want it to heal. Because if it does, I might be tempted to use it again.”
We have all been there before, don’t you think?
6.” I’M STRONGER WITH each passing day. Nothing hurts except my heart, but I’m trying not to use it. I keep the blinds closed. I read my books. Existential or nihilist ones. I have no patience for books that pretend life has meaning. I have no patience for happy endings.”
Madeline don’t you ever think you are alone in this, been there, done that, got a T-shirt for it. I have had such days too.
7.” I break our kiss. “I guess we should eat something.”
“Besides you?” He kisses my bottom lip and then bites it gently. “You are delicious, but inedible.””
This was hot. I liked it. If a guy uses that line on me, and I’m hooked.
8. “Maybe growing up means disappointing the people we love.”
Olly I’m with you here. You couldn’t have been more correct!
9. “Olly: I’VE DECIDED BAGGAGE carousels are a perfect metaphor for life.
Madeline: When did you decide this?
Olly: just now.
Madeline: Go on. Give me the crackpot.
Olly: You are born. You get thrown onto this crazy contraption called life that just goes around and around.
Madeline: People are the luggage in this theory?
Olly: Yes. Sometimes you fall off prematurely. Sometimes you get so damaged by other pieces of luggage falling on your head that you don’t really function anymore. Sometimes you get lost or forgotten and go around forever and ever.
Madeline: What about the ones that get picked up?
Olly: They go on to lead unextraordinary lives in a closet somewhere.
Madeline: (I open and closed my mind a few times)”
That would have been my reaction too Madeline. That was outrageous!
10. I READ ONCE that, on average, we replace the majority of our cells every seven years. Even more amazing: We change the upper layers of our skin every two weeks. If all the cells in our body did this, we’d be immortal. But some of our cells, like the ones in our brains, don’t renew. They age, and age us.
In two weeks my skin will have no memory of Olly’s hand on mine, but my brain will remember. We can have immortality or the memory of touch. But we can’t have both.
How I hate that you are right!
Just another rumble.