IFAS IS IRON AND FOLIC ACID SUPPLEMENT GIVEN TO PREGNANT MOTHERS DURING ANC
Anemia is a medical condition in which capacity of the blood to transport oxygen is reduced either by low red blood cells level or low haemoglobin.
According to WHO(World Health Organization) 41.8 % of pregnant women world wide are anemic. At least Half of the anemia burden is believed to be iron deficiency related the other half is caused by folic acid, vitamin A, parasitic infections and inflammatory chronic illnesses like HIV(Human immunodeficiency virus) and cancer.
EFFECTS OF NOT USING IFAS
- Low birth weight
- Increase risk of premature babies
- Increase risk of neural tube effect.
- Increase risk of maternal anaemia
EXPECTED SIDE EEFFECT OF IFAS
HOW TO MANAGE SIDE EFFECTS
- Take your daily dose after a meal, preferably a snack like at ten o’clock or 4 o’clock.
- Down it with Orange juice or other citrus products instead of water.
- Avoid milk for two hours after your IFAS intake
- If symptoms persist see a doctor to review your dosage.
WHEN AND HOW TO TAKE
- Start within the first twenty weeks of pregnancy
- Take one tablet a day